Islamic Ideology (28 Oct 2013 NewAgeIslam.Com)

• Dear Moderate,

Immensely sad and deplorable as the incident is, there is bright silver lining in the concluding statement: "An earlier Gallup poll found that the majority of Americans Muslims are loyal to their country and optimistic about their future in the United States."

Can you imagine what a terrible price a minority community would have paid as backlash of a cataclysmic terror attack (9/11) attributed to its terrorists? George Bush played a key role in preventing it by visiting one of the prominent mosques and declaring that Islam is a religion of peace. But the ripple of that volcanic eruption of terror has not died down. The war on terror and its fallout coupled with occasional eruption of terror has kept memories alive.

Coming to the sad episode you mention, the driver must be harboring immense fear and hatred of Islam. That will indeed be corrected over time with better inter-faith relations. But if a Muslim thinks an invocation from the Qur'an reeks of militant jihad as the jihadists also pronounce it or owing its contextual meaning, you cannot really blame a semi-literate driver to take Arabic prayer as a jihadist outburst for the jihadists also pray in the same language.

Anyway, these are the dreadful fall-outs of hatred of which countless people, including children of all minority communities suffer in many countries of the world. We as American Muslims have to diffuse Islamophobia and here is my take on this immensely grave and crucial theme:

Confronting Islamophobia in America: Need for a Major Paradigm shift in Mosque Proceedings

Feel free to criticize under appropriate thread for that is the only way you can add value to this empirical agenda. I cannot claim to be above error in outlining a strategy on such an immensely complex issue as Islamophobia.

By muhammad yunus - 11/1/2013 6:31:17 AM

• @ dear yunus bhai, what do u say about this news:  CAIRO – Praying to God to find his missed boarding card, a 10-year-old Muslim boy was branded a 'terrorist' and kicked-off a bus in New York after reciting short-prayer.

“I start in the name of God, the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent,” the Muslim child said, according to a lawsuit filed by his family against the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), New York post reported.

The Brooklyn boy was abused while boarding the B-39 bus on his way home after school in October 2012.

Looking for his missing metro card, the boy, who was not named, recited a short prayer 'Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim', standing for “in the name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent”.

Although the boy could successfully find his metro card, the bus driver insisted on tossing him off after shouting 'terrorist'.

“The driver said ‘Get off! And used the T-word,” Hyder Naqvi, lawyer for the boy and his family, told the Daily News, referring to the word 'terrorist'.

"(The child) said it as he was trying to find his card so he could get home.

“He was only 10 years old when this happened, but he was old enough to know what discrimination is, and unfortunately, now he knows what it feels like,” Naqvi added.

When the boy arrived home, “he told his parents what happened, and they were obviously upset by it,” Naqvi was quoted by New York Post.

Shocked by the incident, the boy shunned public transportation for months, until he decided to speak up recently.

The boy's family complained that they couldn't get any information about the investigation results, the lawyer said.

They cooperated with MTA during probe, after providing pictures of various drivers the boy could identify the criminal, Navi said according to New York Daily News.

Discrimination

Commenting on the incident, a leading Islamic advocacy group has praised the lawsuit which underlines discrimination against Muslims.

“It’s very disappointing to see how young children have become the targets of discrimination because of their religion," Sadyia Khalique, the Director of Operations at New York chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-NY), said in a statement released on Wednesday, October 30.

"CAIR-NY applauds the filing of the lawsuit and we hope the MTA can take disciplinary action against the employee.

"We urge the MTA to provide diversity trainings to its employees to reflect cultural and religious competency in their attitudes, policies and services to ensure that no New Yorker becomes a victim of hate speech by MTA officials.”

Since the 9/11 attacks on the United States, many Muslims have complained of facing discrimination and stereotypes in the society because of their Islamic attires or identities.

By Moderate - 11/1/2013 3:52:39 AM

• @ dear yunus bhai, what do u say about this news:  CAIRO – Praying to God to find his missed boarding card, a 10-year-old Muslim boy was branded a 'terrorist' and kicked-off a bus in New York after reciting short-prayer.
    "(The child) said it as he was trying to find his card so he could get home.
    Discrimination
    By Moderate - 11/1/2013 3:52:27 AM

• Dear Mohammed Rafiq Sahab,
    You really amused me with your concluding respectful remark: "Very respectfully yours."
    I deserve no special respect of course for I am no celebrity deserving of any special respect.
    What is really pleasing that I am playing a role of a reconcilor among at least a group of commentators whose differences I think arise largely due to the imperfection of human language and its incapability to convey the feeling of one's heart. Just this morning i wrote to hats off that he 'disappointed' me. But this disappointment was same as a person will feel for his younger brother for not winning a trophy that he expected him to win. The word can carry love as well as hatred or condemnation depending upon how one looks at it. The same is true of the expression 'grow up' - it can mean, expand you horizon of thought as well as attain maturity.
    Anyway, thank you for your comment. I hope you have verified each of my verse references. There is one error. In the last but one para 9:227 should read 9:27. I have asked the Editor to correct it. Time for me to wind up and turn in.
    By muhammad yunus - 10/29/2013 9:38:23 PM

• Good Morning Yunus Saheb – As-Salaam Alay-Kum
    An outstanding article! You are truly a scholar and a gentleman. Of course, the right to the point pragmatic remark of Ghulam Mohiyuddin Saheb cannot be ignored either.
    I am much delighted to read Harsh’s comment. Quite frankly, in his footnote, he wrote, “Your writings please me.” This should be the real spirit of an intellectual discourse in the New Age Islam forum.
    Constructive criticism should always be encouraged and responded to with kind words.
    Let’s hope that “Mr. Rational” can gather this momentum and tone down on his usual rude remarks. “Mr. Hats Off” is an intellectual man, and I am sure that he will appreciate and endorse your viewpoint as you have expressed in your article.
    May Almighty Allah bless you and your loved ones.
    Very respectfully yours, rafiq@thelodhiacenter.org
    By Mohammed Rafiq Lodhia - 10/29/2013 8:15:56 PM

• In this excellent article Yunus Sahab says that the clear agenda of the Quran is to bring humanity out of darkness into light. Universal brotherhood of all mankind is an important component of such an enlightenment. We must condemn any attempt to call any people unclean, untouchable or unequal. It is abhorrent to maintain that anyone has  lesser civil rights or lesser access to places of worship just because of their beliefs.
    By Ghulam Mohiyuddin - 10/29/2013 12:09:34 PM

• Dear Harsh ji,

Thanks for being the first to comment. As you know human mind readily draws to polemics, controversies, scandals ....so it is not surprising that a well intentioned statement or remark by a supposedly unsympathetic critic may provoke a chain of responses. Imagine what would have happened if this article was written by a non-Muslim. (???). I think you can clear the cobweb.

Let me come to your statement: "non-Muslims are very confused about Islam, is that why Islam and its teachings are not being followed by the Muslims. Why is there a Himalayan gap between the two?"

Since I have discussed various facets of this multifaceted issue, let me cut/past below an extract from one of my articles to avoid taxing myself and creating another controversy - given the sensitive nature of the question and possible ripple effect of the ongoing polemics that your comments generated:

1. "Conclusion: It is high time that the Muslim Ulema abolish any division of knowledge between Islamic and un-Islamic and incorporate the study of physical sciences and other universal faculties and professional disciplines in the curriculum of the madrasas. Obviously any major transformation in educational curriculum has to come in stages, but having lost almost five centuries, there is no more time to lose. Today, the participation of Muslims in academic and professional fields, cultural arenas, and prestigious and lawful avenues of livelihood in practically all Muslim minority countries is abysmally low as their educational, professional and cultural attainments are handicapped by their own or their parents’/ancestors’ madrasa based education. In historical perspective, if any single agency has to bear the blame for the introductory poetic outburst, it is probably the Ulema and the orthodox Islam - their throwback influence and reductive madrasa curriculum as this discourse amply demonstrates – however, bitter this may sound."

Re:

An Open Reminder To The Ulema: Rejecting Universal Knowledge As Un-Islamic Is Brazenly Un-Islamic And Kufr (Denial Of Truth)

By muhammad yunusm - 10/29/2013 9:02:48 AM

• Great article Mr Yunus well written and well researched. As you have mostly quoted the Quran to prove your point, it should be a welcome read. Many interpreters of the Quran end up reading secondary sources material (often contradictory) into it ending up distorting it's meanings.
    By Mubashir - 10/29/2013 7:11:56 AM

• Well done Mr Yunus. Happy to read something good in this site after a long time. I am quite shocked to know that people like Mr Ghaus and Ms Sharma have completely misunderstood my comments and they blame me that I do not respect the prophet of Islam, which is completely an outlandish proposition. Let them think what they want to think, it is between me and, if there is God, Him. I am answerable to Him only as I know what my intention is. I only try in my comments to poke people to dig deeper and do self introspection before writing; and never get stagnant in thinking.
    The thing that put me off the most is that when people say Islam is the religion of peace, Muhammad fought in self-defence etc. Let me not spark another controversy with this, so let me clarify for the slow heads: I know that Islam is the religion of peace, I know that Muhammad fought in self defence, I know why Muhammad married 11 times etc. Just by repeating these things wont lead Muslims anywhere, they need to contextualise these things, which you have beautifully done.
    The basic thing that comes to a non-Muslim's mind, because non-Muslims are very confused about Islam, is that why Islam and its teachings are not being followed by the Muslims. Why is there a Himalayan gap between the two? Ms Sharma and others say there should be no gap. Well, hello, I know there should be no gap, but the main issue is how can you, Muslims (barring Ms Sharma) bridge that gap? That is the main thing. I hope this comment will remove some of the cobwebs from the minds of Ghaus and Ms Sharma about me: that I am no communal, I am no distorter of facts, I am no anti-Muslim.
    Thank you.
    PS: Your writings please me.

By Harsh - 10/28/2013 11:28:15 PM