Islamic Ideology (30 Jun 2012 NewAgeIslam.Com)

• Dear Bram Fajan, you have put a run of the mill question on the Prophet of Islam pbuh. How could you conceive of such vulgarity about a messenger of peace who forgave the arch enemies of his life even when he conquered them in Mecca and got a chance to rule over them. On that day when some of his followers voiced shouting out "Today is the day of retaliation", the Prophet strongly opposed them saying:"No, today is the day of forgiveness".
    Dear Bram Fajan, how could you imagine Muhammad pbuh calling on people to his faith through mass murder, while He defines his faith and its true follower by his saying: "A Muslim is one whose hand and tongue do not harm any human being"  (Sahih Muslim)
    Please read about Muhammad pbuh from the original and authentic sources, lest u fall prey to Islamophobic allegations maligning the Prophet of peace and mercy!

By Ghulam Rasool Dehlvi - 4/13/2013 8:53:35 AM

• Did not Mohammed promulgate an Islam that includes a turning to the sword? Great men do not develop a faith that calls for chopping off the heads of people who do not subscribe to their faith. Calling on people to build a faith through some of the world's most extensive mass murder is damnable, not great. Is not the sword a part of Islams history?
    By Bram Fajan - 4/13/2013 7:08:01 AM

• ·         Dear mohd yunus sb. Here is the series.
    ·         Respected Manzoorul Haque Sahib. Taqiya suits to you. Keep ranting whatever like you. I will keep haunting you.
    ·         Takiya does suit me. I don’t know much about taqiya. About me - I concede that I love Islam, especially because of its social philosophy. However, with what you are likely to disagree violently is,  that I love Hindus, especially the innocent kinds. I actually love their innocence. And when some of them, perhaps like your good-self, perceive that I am in love with their innocence, then they get  angry with me,  which gives me the feeling of a lover whose beloved has gone bitter – albeit temporarily. I know she will come , she is bound to come. We are made for each other.  Thus, life would be barren if you do not haunt me, sir.
    ·         To please your Allah, To save images of ...., you can go to any instant.
    ·         I wish I could go to any extent. Truth is that I am a very low grade Muslim.
    ·         Is it not your mother land? No need to wonder if majority of Muslims revere Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. I don't revere living, non-living, seen, and UN-seen things.
    ·         Did I say so? In fact, unlike you, I revere my country India. I attach no divinity to land-mass, but you know, I believe in sanctity of the idea of a motherland. Pakistan is an anomaly and about Saudi Arabia I have recently posted my views under Allah hafiz- Khuda hafiz controversy. I wanted to draw you attention to the ghoos-culture and lack of responsive administration in my beloved country, because I wished if you could see how the social philosophy of Islam is relevant. I know you will ask, how has Islam’s social philosophy helped the Muslim-majority countries. Well, they are endeavoring. Are we?
    ·          You can justify anything imaginable if it is done by Muslims.
    ·         I think you are not reading my comments. I stand for reform within Islam, and right dissemination of precepts of Islam, but I apply my mind and am not emotionally reckless. Believe me; you are unhappy with me because of this. You are needlessly afraid of Islam. Please take it, there would be no compulsion form reformed Islamists in the matter of religion.
    ·         Do you know I will mount to a pyre or I will be buried in grave?
    ·         Here you are right on bull’s eye. If I seriously say this, I am clearly wrong. If a person of the highest degree of anti-Islamism, just before breathing his last, accepts Islam from the deepest core of his heart, then he is entitled for the highest heaven for obvious reasons. His past sins are washed out,  and he has no opportunity for any sin. Brother, I was not serious, still I apologize.
    ·         You can deny logic, history, Ahadith in love of Islam.
    ·         Now surely,  this is not the extent you were referring to. How can I deny Islam for the love of Islam?
    ·         You people can twist anything verses of Quran, Ahadith, translations, only thing it should suit to your purpose.
    ·         You should see whether our effort will present Islam in better light or not. If it is better, does it not suit your purpose?
    ·         If Mullahs are dishonest in interpretation of Quran, How you can not be.
    ·         Thank you for grading the Mullahs rightly. That is what we also say to them.
    ·         Are Mullahs dishonest.? I don't think so. They are representing truth, you people are hiding.
    ·         Please decide if mullahs are dishonest or not. Please do not recant yourself so quickly.
    ·         To understand the easy guide book you are doing mental gymnastic. So many Mullahs, so many scholars of whole world are busy to explain easy guide book revealed by All knowing Allah.
    ·         Brother you are second time using incorrect language, a language that does not convey correct sense. “A guide book” is nowhere near “A Book of Guidance”. A man with even  a poorer sense of language might think of the  holy Quran as no other than the book on which movie “Guide”  was made. Now no book can ever be easy and Quran is a book of books. Its every sentence can lead to a book. The holy Quran is not  an easy book to understand, except in an allegorical sense, that getting to the fold of Islam through the book is the easiest. In other words, to become a Muslim and earn a reward from Allah is the easiest thing to do. You have to just hold the holy Quran in your hand and believe that here is the Book that contains Truth and nothing but the Truth. Then devote your whole life to the pursuit of Truth. However, never tell me that you have found the Truth. I will straightway know, you are a fraud. And you know that the reward by Allah is in proportion to the hardship in the pursuit of Truth and that will take into account  lack of your mental abilities too,  because with less education and less mental caliber you will find  it harder to know the Truth, but your reward is guaranteed because of the difficulties you face. In the matter of pursuit of Truth an illiterate is advantaged. My job was only to inform you of the possibilities. It is up to your free-will to decide.
    ·          Are Mullahs wrong in reducing the age of girls to minimum for marriage? Certainly they are not. They are following Sunnah.
    ·         Boring question –replied many times. The minimum age that we are going to fix is from 16 to 18 years. Let the mullahs (your kind, if any) tie up their ‘langots’  little more tight,  for some more years.
    By Manzoorul Haque - 7/25/2012 11:06:13 AM

• Respected  Naseer Ahmed Sahib. What will you do then?

By mohd yunus - 7/25/2012 1:09:20 AM

• Respected Manzoorul Haque Sahib. Taqiya suits to you. Keep ranting whatever like you. I will keep haunting you.
    To please your Allah, To save images of ...., you can go to any instant.
    Is it not your mother land? No need to wonder if majority of Muslims revere Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.  I don't revere living, non-living, seen, and UN-seen things. You can justify any thing imaginable if it is done by Muslims. Do you know I will mount to a pyre or I will be buried in grave?
    You can deny logic, history, Ahadith in love of Islam.
    If Mullah are dishonest in interpretation of Quran, How you can not be.
    To understand the easy guide book you are doing mental gymnastic.

By mohd yunus - 7/24/2012 8:34:54 PM

• My dear Mohd Yunus Sb,, My heart goes out to you. You are one most confused and tortured soul. Here you plead for your "feeble mind". In another place you claim to be the most educated and intelligent and challenge all Syeds to prove otherwise.
    You understand very well Mr Yunus. You asked the question because your line of argument was that if everything is pre ordained and recorded in Loh-e-Mahfooz then nobody is blameworthy except God.
    My explanation makes clear what is pre ordained and what is free will. You cannot now go around saying that it is all God's Leela alone and you are blameless.
    You sought an answer and you got an answer. But you refuse to accept the answer and you continue to blame God that God has sealed your heart etc. You have a choice but will not exercise that choice. Exercising choice requires some effort. You need to shake off the yoke that is constraing you. You need to become a free man.
    Your other question was of a similar nature. You wanted to mock at the Quran by saying that it is guidance only for the muttaqi and since you are not one, Quran is not for you and your kind. You asked this question with great fan fare anticipting that other dullards would be rendered speechless little realizing that your argument was a pure example of a very common logical fallacy.You failed again.
    Stop mocking Mr Yunus and get serious before it is too late.
    By Naseer Ahmed - 7/24/2012 7:53:36 PM

• Your closure report accepted. I pray to Allah that these ideas do not haunt you till you mount your pyre (a word which I seem to know for you), and you continue to enjoy the best of ‘ghoos’ in this mother’s land (this last portion added because today was my day of ‘ghoos giving’ in the land registry office to buy a piece of this venerated motherland.

By Manzoorul Haque - 7/24/2012 2:19:01 PM

• Respected Naseer Ahmed Sahib: For your closure report.
    Copy to Janab Manzoorul Haque sahib.
    1. Here I admit I am unable to understand what you explained. It is very difficult for me to understand the difficult secrets of easy book.
    Oh God ? My feeble mind.
    I am not alone, there are more people who don't understand than who understand and don't believe in the way Islam demands. .
    2. Please don't waste your energy to determine whether I am a true seeker or just an enemy.
    3. May be I don't want to understand. May be my sole purpose is to defame Islam.
    God has sealed my heart due to my own fault. He is just merciful.
    I regret I took your time. Let us move on our paths.

Congratulations. May Allah bless you for your sincere efforts.

Ah! God has sent around 1,24,000 messengers to every nation. Stupid man (majority) keep refusing, take satan as a friend. Be aware! hell is prepared

O stupid people. Man has to pay for his free will.

O satan, cursed one. You didn't bow to Adam(Though bowing to non Allah is unpardonable sin. Allah knew Satan will not bow) . Enemy of mankind. You will be dragged into hell with me.
    Poor score.

By mohd yunus - 7/24/2012 6:15:33 AM

• Trying to write short, let me say I liked the write-up. I actually liked it in general with some comments that I have to make. I liked the comments of other commentators, especially that of Mr. Naseer Ahmed. In Mr. Ahmed's writing I found the reference of no miracle power of Prophet Muhammed (Peace be upon him) somewhat insufficiently discussed and would have liked to know more about the beliefs of many Muslims about 'the division of Moon' miracle, flight to Jerusalem etc.

I liked the point “expect nasty things to happen you in life for your mistakes or even as a random or chance phenomenon. Do not then ask "why did this happen to me? What wrong did I do". It had happened according to the laws of God which are designed for the benefit of mankind and you just got into the wrong way with these laws and hurt yourself. Patience under trying conditions is the litmus test of your faith in God and God appreciates and rewards both patience and gratitude".

While in the original write-up, I appreciate that all those writers’ comments have been put up and I think, this should be done on more regular basis, something like remembering and then reminding the world on daily basis and not shying away from getting repetitious. However as a concluding remarks of it "and it was their gradual detachment from the Qur’an that led to their stagnation, decay and downfall in the ensuing centuries", I sense a feeling of loss and sadness, which shouldn’t have been there.

While the author sees the glass as half empty, I still see the glass half full. Islam has been the way of life of millions and millions of people for well over thousand years and most likely it is going to be this way for another thousand years or till the world falls apart (by nuclear or biological or climatic reason). I have time and again maintained that we need to identify what exactly are those parameters which determine whether Muslims are on Islam or not? Muslims do not need political power to be on Islam. 52 countries and area coverage from this end to that end and followers strength of second most populous religious group is not what I am talking about. It is also not about scientific discoveries and noble prizes or patents they can claim of that defines the glow of Islam’s success. It is about how much comfortable life could be with Islam. People die and you know that his/her day was fixed for that and he/she has gone where he/she was supposed to go one or the other day. You feel it normal and you do not kill yourself for that.

Muslims are not supposed to get desperate for things not happening to them as they expected. Not being able to give birth, or not getting married or failing in exams or being unsuccessful in business is not what should sadden a Muslim. It is all predestined. Of course with wisdom and effort things could have been different but wisdom and effort too comes predestined to the chosen ones. The chosen one not always chose the destiny; sometimes destiny too chooses the chosen one. It is both ways. Predestination is an important concept with Muslims but used only to give heart to those who have suffered some losses in the worldly sense of things.

The rate of failure of marriages, the rate of suicide, the rate of criminality, the measure of uncleanliness is what should be the parameter to determine how well or worse Muslims are doing or by not properly being on Islam. Domestic violence, cheating and corruption, litigations, the rates of their occurrence could be determinants to say about the usability of Islam. And to be fair, Muslims aren’t doing that bad. Some will say, they aren’t doing that bad, because they have found oil, some will say they are indeed doing bad showcasing Jahil Talibans or other Jahils or may point out one in millions who chooses to take to terrorism even after having an option otherwise and coming from well off background and academics.

Yes they do not have democracy, as said by Mr. Ghulam Mohiyuddin Sir, “separation of church and state, freedom of speech, tolerance and respect for the religions of others, socialism, conflict resolution strategies, the evolution theory, abolition of cruel and unusual punishments etc”, none of that is on the basis of Islam and Quran but on traditions they either had or the traditions they never had.

Let me single out ‘tolerance and respect for the religions of others’, because Quran has explicitly said otherwise of what is being practiced by some community within Muslims but by and large Muslims have been able to live amicably in India and US and in other countries with communities other than Muslims, and this is an example that they are living peacefully with others. It is only amongst them that they fight as displayed by countries like Pakistan. But Pakistan has too much of non-Muslim psyche, to be called temperamentally Muslim. If you interact with ordinary people from Middle East, they are rather simple and very non-violent. Same non-Muslim psyche is displayed in Indian Muslims as well where they do not fight among themselves as they would have had, had India been Muslim majority country. In India their controlled infighting might be attributed to the presence of Non-Muslims seen as looking for every opportunity to let Muslims fight among themselves, but the real reason is that in India there still is very less penetration of radical Wahabism compared to Pakistan and people can still get away with grave worshipping along with their Non-Muslim co-citizens. In Pakistan, the same grave-worshipping kinds are now face to face with radicals Wahabists.

Some grave worshippers are of opinion that ever since Saud family took over, some 200 years back, the problem of institutionalized ritualism and aggression surfaced. Same thing happened somewhat in the times of Aurangzeb but since his legacy could not continue as it did in Saudi Arabia for Sauds, things did not take that explosive shape. The problem compounded when Saud got hold of riches underneath their sand. And perhaps the problem will compound a third degree if all that riches is used to radicalize the population of South Asians. Pakistan is already half way done, and India has already opened up to the idea of violent Islam. What could not happen even by Aurangzeb sitting within India, Sauds would be able to export from outside with the help of developed aviations, trade and commerce and expatriates working for them.

In fact it is yet to be seen how the inception of internet going to challenge or help Islam in spreading the Jihadi literature or curbing it by increasing more awareness about essence of Islam.

The world waits to see the outcome of this miracle. Will it increase nudity and shamelessness or will it increase the knowledge of Islam in the world is that something which time would tell. But most likely it will increase both and future generations will be exposed to both these and will make their choice depending on their predestined state of mind and their own choice of their destiny.

As for Mr. Muhammad Yunus Sir’s assertion : “the orthodoxy prevailed and intellectual activity in Islam came to a virtual halt. This happened around the end of the fourth century of Islam, marked (marking) the beginning of the decline of Islamic civilization, and set this faith and its followers on a path of decline”, the moot point is what exactly Muslims intellectuals are doing now to revive and reconstruct the progressive Islamic thoughts. More importantly what do they feel about how they are positioned? Are they confident of being able to do their job or have they already lost the battle?

I personally have a reason to believe that situation will improve even when suicide bombings too will increase. The reason is that Muslims who got stuck up those many centuries ago received success from their earlier generation and they were complacent and lethargic. Intellectual lethargy is what I am coming to. They knew the magic formula of success and they just did not want to play with that anymore. And it is quite normal thing to do. When you get good grades, when you keep winning, why would you like to change time-table or winning combination? But what they didn’t know was that this magic works well for first timers. It works well for those who are ready to experiment. It works well till it doesn’t work anymore for them. Finally, they were predestined to slip into complacency because they felt they knew too much of their time. While they chose to freeze their knowledge and tune up their arrogance, they didn’t realize that destiny too was choosing them and their oncoming generations for a severe test- the test of reaction on being mocked.

Now further from where Muslims are, if Muslims are destined to see more and more of them getting drawn into terrorism and conspiracy theories, no one can stop them from getting more into bad shape. But if a Muslim choses his/her destiny to not get embroiled in mudslinging/ war-mongering, then nobody, not even destiny can force them to nurse pessimism. Remember, Khudi ko kar buland itna…?

Assuming that Khudi doesn’t get buland after repeated efforts as Taqdeer prevails over it, even then why should one cry over it. What is the response that Islam teaches for such a situation? At worse, be stoic and keep patience, at best, be happy that the drama of this world is at its closure and we are soon to crawl (or fly) to our meet our Lord. Islam has at least survived enough to teach what reaction should be in such a case.

However before things ends, Muslims must give a try to change the world. They should be the change that they wanted to see in the world. Throw away both the manhoos baby and the bath water, throw away everything but not before making radical changes in your personal life style where one feels to be meeting the criteria of Islam. In due course one would find others too who are doing similar thing and are on same path. One andha and one kodhi, and they will then make up a nice Jodi. But the underlying idea is to never fear of getting isolated as long as one fears God and pays the people who work for them before their sweats dries. Jiska koi nahin uska to Kuda hai yaaron. Open up your own Fatwa factory but for yourself only if you are knowledgeable enough, and if you are not, then deny of even any knowledge of any Fatwa from anyone.

By sadaf - 7/21/2012 7:49:53 AM

• @Sadaf. Please read my just posted comment to Asif Merchant. You seem to be barking at the wrong tree as I have been barking for a long time. May I suggest that you read my following article, which may allay your frustration at the militant religiosity of fellow Muslims who are least bothered about what the Qur’an says. They, like the pre-Islamic Arabs, turn away from it like frightened donkeys fleeing a lion (74:49-51) and have turned Naikis and Ladinis....

The Muslims’ ignorance /disregard of the Qur’anic guidance and its Colossal and Recurring Cost.

By muhammad yunus (1) - 7/20/2012 9:00:39 PM

• I compliment Muhammad Yunus Saab for an excellent article and whole heatedly endorse his views.
    The Quran is an amazing book full of wisdom. There is no dimming of its light even after 1400 years and continues to be as relevant today as it was then. No matter how many times it is read, it continues to delight and deepen our understanding. It is straight forward in its message. You will not find any deviosness in it It is self explanatory and not allegorical or indirect requiring interpretations of the learned. There are very few allegorical stories which are not to be taken literally and the allegorical language used makes the intention very clear.The Quran should however be understood  as a whole and not in parts - especially not by single ayats. You cannot then go wrong even with the literal meaning and even without knowing the context. There are some verses which are cryptic in their message and require deeper thinking. For example, the verses on creation where the angels are aghast that God has created man who will cause much bloodshed and tyranny and God responds saying that the Angels do not know what God knows.  God then proceeds to teach man the "names of all things" and then asks the Angels the names of things and the angels reply that they  only know what God has taught them. The superiority of man is established and the angels are asked to prostrate to Adam.
    So what did God teach man? Name also means attributes or the nature of things or the knowledge about material things or even the laws that govern them. This knowledge has been given by God to man. It has been there with man always in some germane form and all his discoveries are nothing but retrieving from within the knowledge that is given to him. Most scientific discoveries are of that nature - seeing the truth in a flash of sudden understanding. The logic and confirmation of that truth through logical argument and experiments follows later. Did not Einstein scriible as an after thought his famous equation E=mc^2? Once it is stated, the truth of this equation is obvious even to a bright high school student of physics who is familiar with dimensional analysis. Yet, it is an amazing insight. The same holds good for all the equations and theorems and much of the work in theoretic physics.
    Then there is that Ayat which says that God taught man by the pen. Taught him what he knew not. The pen is what enables man to record his learning for posterity and for sharing with other human beings. The gains are therefore cumulative. Not everyone need to invent the wheel. Without these cumulative gains man would have made little progress.
    There area ayats which says that God does not change his ways or that no one can cahnge his words. I understand by this that the laws are unchanging and laws are nothing but God's word which no one can cahnge. This  is a great boon enabling man to learn by experience. If laws kept on changing, his experience means nothing since it does not teach him what to expect in the future.
    The laws for achieving success in this life and the hereafter are also described. There is that amzing ayat which says that God does not change the condition of man until he changes himself. What this means to me is that if you are not succeeding, it is because your actions are not the right ones for achieving success  and unless you start doing the right things, nothing will change for you. So better start figuring out what is going wrong with you and why and start learning how to do the right things  to achieve success. Prayers alone will not help you.
    God has therefore set in motion his laws and provided guidance through the Quran to navigate one's life and achieve success in this World and the hereafter. In most matters therefore, the World is on auto pilot and God does not intervene in every matter. Things happen in accordance with his laws.
    God's active intervention is only in special circumstance when you are in distress and call out from the depths of your heart. God then gives you a fresh start and it is back to auto pilot. So expect nasty things to happen you in life for your mistakes or even as a random or chance phenomena. Do not then ask "why did this happen to me? What wrong did I do". It had happened according to the laws of God which are designed for the benefit of mankind and you just got into the wrong way with these laws and hurst yourself. Patience under trying conditions is the litmus test of your faith in God and God appreciates and rewards both patience and gratitude.
    While Prophet Isa (PBUH) and Musa (PBUH) could perform "miracles", Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was not given any such power. The people also taunted him on this account. Clearly, the message was, 'the age of reason' has dawned and you do not need miracles to believe. Your own heart and mind  will recognize and respond to the truth provided you do not cover it with arrogance. Also, isn't the World wondrous as it is? Why does anybody need miracles? What is it that he cannot achieve the straight way following the laws of nature?
    There is a reference to "The Book". What is that Book which contains everything? Taking the analogy of an Application, the Book is the source code of the master Application containing all the laws of nature. Everything therefore happens according to the book and is there in the Book. Are all revealed scriptures including the Quran the Book or part of the Book? My understanding is that the scriptures are a version of the book in the sense that they are for human consumption and understanding with reference to the specific context of the times when these are revealed but also containing an eternal meaning.
    We also read that the Quran was revealed in a single night on the "night of Power" in the month of Ranadhan. We also know that the revelation was spread over 23 years. What do these apparently conflicting versions mean? My understanding is that the revealation in a single night was akin to the form in which God taught man "the names of all things". The teaching was complete for the Prophet to understand the deen in its totality but not in the form of  experiential learning with reference to the context which the Quran is. Yet there is a close connection between the Quran, the revelation over a single night and "The Book" which contains everything.
    By Naseer Ahmed - 7/16/2012 3:00:37 AM

• Excellent article by Mohammad Yunus Sb. He has rightly concluded, "This essay is just a reminder and warning and a challenge to the Muslim intellect".

He is absolutely logical and sounds practical in his assessment and analysis of the topic, but most of the time I am in abysmal dismay when I see people blaming ULEMA for every action, deviation, stagnation, etc.

Why don't we respect individualism and inculcate a habit of developing religious understanding and provide motivation among our near and dear ones? We must take over this challenging task.

By Raihan Nezami - 7/1/2012 10:09:58 PM

• Yunus saheb says that as Islamic civilization was moving ahead, the rigid ulema were trying hard to freeze it "at their era". This has unfortunately had the result that our civilization did not keep pace with seminal advances in human thought that occurred over the past 300 years, including momentous concepts such as "government of the people, by the people, for the people", separation of church and state, freedom of speech, tolerance and respect for the religions of others, socialism, conflict resolution strategies, the evolution theory, abolition of cruel and unusal punishments etc. Now we find ourselves in a situation where we have a lot of catching up to do but we still have the same rigid ulema resisting progress.
    By Ghulam Mohiyuddin - 6/30/2012 2:47:56 PM